Wednesday 13 November 2013

The Nights Are Drawing In

I was out last night for my first truly dark ride of the year. Took in a normal 30mile loop with my friend Josh but failed to think about just how dark it would be without streetlights. A couple of the descents were sketchy to say the least.

I currently have 2 front lights - a cheap eBay jobby which is actually pretty bright, and a middle-ground CatEye light which produces a fair beam and is just about good enough to see by for a few metres in front of me. After last night however I've invested in a Lezyne Micro front light for the princely sum of £26 from Wiggle so that should improve my visibility on the road and make me that little bit happier. I'm excited that it's USB re-chargable and I won't need to faff about with AA batteries all the time.

I also wore my new merino wool baselayer from Mountain Warehouse for the first proper ride last night - it performed admirably. Any sweat was absorbed and there was no smell - I even wore it to work today and it still isn't damp or smell! So for £20 I was very impressed and will definitely be investing in more merino wool in the future.

Not much else to say really except we ended our ride last night up Michaelgate climb - which is a cobbled 16% hill in the centre of Lincoln going up to the Cathedral which is used 13(!) times in the University of Lincoln Grand Prix. I struggled up the climb at 6mph with the cobbles sapping any of my speed whilst Josh danced away from me and around the corner. I will definitely be doing the climb again but I have developed much more respect for the riders such as Kristian House and Peter Kennaugh who fly up that climb multiple times at the Lincoln GP.

Looking forward to more late night rides as the weather gets colder and I will report back on how the light adds to my arsenal of lights on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment