Thursday 7 February 2013

Coffee

I am a cyclist.

I don't like coffee.

Those two statements do not go well together. Coffee is deeply ingrained in cycling culture - coffee stops and the like, so something has to change. Either I stop cycling, or I learn to like coffee.

I'll be straight with you - I wrote a whole post at the time of drinking the coffee - my first cup ever - but since my phone decided to delete it without publishing(!) I am not going to try and recreate what I wrote.

It did however have this jist:

I was bought a cup of coffee by my fiancée, along with a bag of sugar and a bottle of milk. I first tasted it as black, with one sugar - which is how she takes it and it was, quite frankly, vile.

I then added quite a lot of milk and spent a lot of time inhaling the smell of the coffee before deciding to carry on with my tasting session. After adding another half a spoonful of sugar, and a splash more milk the cup of coffee became bearable and something that I didn't hate.

It's a first step towards what could be a new hot beverage relationship for me - though I was chastised by my barista housemate for starting with instant coffee. I plan to go to his shop next week to try a "real" coffee that he can make me.

So with a bit of sugar and a fair old splash of milk, it turns out coffee might actually be alright! I guess I can keep calling myself a cyclist - just!

No comments:

Post a Comment