Friday 1 February 2013

Lincoln Wheelers - First contact & anticipation

Before Christmas I was looking into joining a cycling club. It seems like a good thing to do and I'm lucky enough to have two based near me.

I first contacted Velo Club Lincoln who train right on my doorstep - at the leisure centre behind my house. I contacted them and went along one Thursday to meet the chairman at one of their winter turbo sessions. When I got there however, the room was empty and although a few guys were riding around outside I didn't feel welcome and there was defiantly an air of snobbishness around. I apologise to anyone who's in the club - I'm sure that's not the case but I just didn't feel welcome and left without speaking to anyone further about the club.

This past week I contacted Lincoln Wheelers who have a superior website which is kept up to date and is all round more informative. I asked if Hayley and I could tag along to their Sunday ride and they said yes! So we're both excited to get out and do some steady miles with them this Sunday and hopefully make some friends and maybe even join the club! Argh! I've never ridden in a bunch so I am a bit nervous, but I'm sure once we get there it will be easy enough to get integrated and having someone there I already know will help. (Or hinder us as we'll both be nervous - hmm.)

Suffice it to say I eagerly await Sunday morning and hope that I can a) keep up and not get dropped on the ride and b) really enjoy myself and get some almost-Spring miles in my legs.

I will update with how it went Sunday afternoon or next week sometime - wish me luck! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment